- 2 3/4 cups (326g)(1 and 1/2 cups) Stodkie GF flour
- 1/3 cup (67g) granulated sugar or monk sweetener
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Apple Pie Spice or cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 8 tablespoons (113g) butter, cold
- 3/4 cup (78g) chopped fresh apple, in 1/2" pieces (about half a medium apple); leave the
skin on, if you like
- 3/4 cup (113g) cinnamon chips or 1/2 cup (71g) cinnamon sweet bits
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (128g) applesauce, unsweetened preferred
*For a substitute see "tips," below.
- 3 tablespoons coarse sparkling sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- water or milk, for brushing
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and spice.
- Work in the butter just until the mixture is unevenly crumbly; it's OK for some larger
chunks of butter to remain unincorporated.
- Stir in the chopped apple and cinnamon chips.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla, and
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until all is
moistened and holds together.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment; if you don't have parchment, just
use it without greasing it. Sprinkle a bit of flour atop the parchment or
- Scrape the dough onto the floured parchment or pan, and divide it in
half. Gently pat and round each half into a 5" to 5 1/2" circle about 3/4"
- To make the topping, stir together the coarse sugar and cinnamon.
Brush each circle with a bit of water or milk, and sprinkle with the
- Using a knife or bench knife that you've run under cold water, slice each
circle into 6 wedges.
- Carefully pull the wedges away from the center to separate them
just a bit; there should be about 1/2" space between them, at their outer
- For best texture and highest rise, place the pan of scones in the
freezer for 30 minutes, uncovered. While the scones are chilling,
preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Bake the scones for 18 to 22 minutes, or until they're golden
brown. When you pull one away from the others, it should look baked all
the way through; the edge shouldn't look wet or unbaked.
- Remove the scones from the oven, and cool briefly on the pan.
Serve warm. When they're completely cool, wrap in plastic and store at
room temperature for up to several days.